Saturday, December 27, 2014

2014 Wrap Up

Well, I re-read a lot of books this year, more than I meant to. I re-read: The Convenient Marriage, Arabella, Cousin Kate, Friday's Child, Cotillion, The Corinthian, Devil's Cub, Venetia, and Sylvester, all by Georgette Heyer, as well as Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte. An even 10 total.

But I also got a lot of my backlog read for Margaret Atwood and Kurt Vonnegut, with a little help from the public library:

Vonnegut: Welcome to the Monkey House, Bagombo Snuff Box, The Sirens of Titan, Galapagos, Look at the Birdie
Atwood: Lady Oracle, Moral Disorder, The Penelopiad, Bluebeard's Egg

Have to say I'm pretty proud of the results.

Then there were two this year that stood out as the biggest surprises--I had no idea that they would be amazing:
 

Pretty good, considering I wasn't even going to read The Luminaries, it didn't seem like something I was going to be interested in, but I picked it up on a whim at the library and didn't read any other books while enjoying it. The Coldest Girl in Coldtown I expected to be your fairly typical run of the mill YA book and I didn't think I was going to love it as much as I did. Plus, look at that stunning cover.

But I also had two huge disappointments:

And just because life is like that, I bought Shadow and Bone and Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore, convinced I would love them, and both fell flat spectacularly. Needless to say, they'll be going out of my book collection. I wish I had bought The Luminaries and The Coldest Girl in Coldtown instead, but hey, I thought I wasn't going to like them.

I'm looking forward to 2015, I'm going to try to not re-read as much as I did this year, though Georgette Heyer is bit of a comfort read for me (I'm determined to try some Marion Chesney and other authors that have been suggested as alternatives to get some variety). I do really want to re-read The Luminaries, but I'm hoping to wait at least a year so I can get some more new reads in. Of course, I also want to work my way through the rest of Kurt Vonnegut's works and catch up on a lot of Margaret Atwood's. 

It'll be a busy year.

No comments:

Post a Comment