Sunday, November 16, 2014

They Do the Same Things Different There by Robert Shearman

They Do the Same Things Different There by Robert Shearman
[Published September 16th 2014 by Chizine Publications] 
★★★★

I was a huge fan of Robert Shearman's short story collection Remember Why You Fear Me, and while this collection was not as good as that, it was not a disappointment. I don't think there was a story in here that I disliked, which is always a amazing thing for a collection to accomplish.

The opening story, Luxembourg, was probably the story that kept me coming back to this collection for awhile. I would think about it, and I'd be like "man, I should read more of that, that story was bizarre," and thus, I'd pick it up again.  

Dumb Lucy and 72 Virgins were the next two that stood out for me. In Dumb Lucy, I wanted to know more about what was going on the world that the two characters were traveling in. It sounded like an awesome setting, but as is the nature of short stories, I don't think it was explored to full potential. 72 Virgins I just thought was an interesting twist on the whole afterlife.

I think my favorite story has to be Memories of a Craving Long Gone, wish was sad and weird and if I dare say, delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment