Sunday, March 9, 2014

February Wrap Up!

Well, suddenly its March when I swear it seems like February 1st was yesterday. I'm also in the middle of a move and I'm working 50 hour work weeks, so everything seems to be going terribly fast. I didn't read a lot this past month, I hardly noticed it passing by!

 1. When She Woke by Hillary Jordan (4/5 stars)
[Challenges: Finish 2013, The TBR Pile, Off the Shelf, Dystopia]

I loved this book. I had been trying to read it on and off during 2013 but I hadn't quite caught the appropriate mood to make my Restless Reader Syndrome calm down and focus. But this is really a wonderful book, and I know it's said a lot in reviews, but if you enjoy Margaret Atwood's books, I would give this one a go. Hillary Jordan is no Margaret Atwood, but I think she will please.


2. Teatro Grottesco by Thomas Ligotti (5/5 stars)
[Challenges: The TBR Pile]

I cannot sing enough praise for this book, truly. Thomas Ligotti has a fantastical imagination, and one thing I found especially refreshing is that he could tell a story that's bizarre, creepy, and frightening without resorting to being plain gross, which is what a lot of writers in the horror genre have to turn to. I love the story of the mayors coming and going from different towns, but I think my absolute favorite was the town in the north that had the town and then the old town. That was just delightfully creepy and inspired.







3. Dolores Clairborne by Stephen King (5/5 stars)
[Challenges: none]

Yes, its not scary. But I'm a sucker for a book with a very unique narrator voice, and this book has got it. You can't help but be fond of Dolores and her predicament. Its also profoundly sad.















4. Archelon Ranch by Garrett Cook (2.5/5 stars)
[Challenges: The TBR Pile]

The fuck was this?
Not only is a bit hard to follow, for everything that's going that should be interesting, this was a damn boring book.














5. Raising Stony Mayhall by Daryl Gregory (4/5 stars)
[Challenges: The TBR Pile, Finish 2013]

This is a unique twist on the zombie tale. I loved the first part of the book with Stony growing up with his family, and seeing his relationships with his sisters even as he joined his own kind. 

Four stars though, because the direction it went in after that I wasn't a huge fan of. It was not at all what I had expected, and not really in a good way.










6. Chronicle of a Death Foretold by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (5/5 stars)
[Challenges: The TBR Pile, Classics]

Not much to say except Gabriel Garica Marquez knows his shit.
7. Ghosted Volume 1 by Joshua Williamson (1.5/5 stars)
[Challenges: Netgalley Catch Up]

I promised myself I would DNF more if I found myself not enjoying something. This is my second victim this year of that resolution.
















8. The Nonesuch by Georgette Heyer [5/5 stars]
[Challenges: The TBR Pile, Off the Shelf]

Georgette Heyer knows her shit too.


















Oh and good lord, what am I reading currently? What am I NOT reading currently? Though a lot of my books are packed up and at my other apartment right now, since I'm in a move and such, and of course I have just this itching desire to read something that's packed away instead of what I'm currently reading. Of course. The list:

A Storm of Swords by George R.R. Martin
War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy
The Twelve by Justin Cronin
The Toll-Gate by Georgette Heyer
Grim by Christine Johnson
Twitter Wit by Nick Douglas
The Song of the Dodo by David Quammen
Splintered by A.G. Howard
Audrey Rose by Frank de Felitta

Things I hope to read next!:
Bleeds My Desire by Nenia Campbell
Through the Smoke by Brenda Novak
Devil's Bride by Stephanie Laurens
Doctor Sleep by Stephen King
Uncle Silas by Joseph Sheridan le Fanu

(but let's get real--I never read what I'm planning on reading)

No comments:

Post a Comment