Thursday, January 2, 2014

Across the Universe by Beth Revis

Across the Universe by Beth Revis
[Published January 11th 2011 by Razorbill]
★★

Well then. Sure is a pretty cover, isn't it? It's pretty misleading.

I spent the entirety of this book, bored. I have been reading it since July, which is an obnoxiously long time to be reading a book, but I stubbornly refused to DNF, and kept chipping away at it. I had heard good things. Great things. But I also had heard bad things. Very bad things.

Unfortunately for me, it came out on the bad side. 

There were so many scenes that were unnecessary and boring, this could have used a red pen pronto to cut those out. The medical side of the book was interesting (I love me some science experimentation, but even the science experimentation was rather lackluster here) but not that interesting to save the book. 

I admit it, I began to skim about halfway through (and it still took me six months). 

I do see how it would have appealed to my younger self. But for the me in the now, I didn't care much about the characters, didn't care much about who was unfreezing the frozens and what their goals were (wasn't expecting who it was though, so there's that).

I just don't know. I read books like this that I expect to like and I think, maybe I'm just too old for YA these days, because all I can think about is how I would have certainly gone crazy over it had I read it years ago. But now, all I can muster is a "meh."

I have the sequel sitting on my shelf and I'm side-eying it. It's not going to be on my reading list any time soon, I don't think.

No comments:

Post a Comment