Sunday, September 22, 2013

Cloak and Dagger / Nenia Campbell

Cloak and Dagger by Nenia Campbell
Published October 24th 2012
★★★★★


The five-star review is purely my recognition of how much I enjoyed this book. It's got some problems. There are a few errors, nothing too terrible. A word was missing in a sentence, a couple times. There are some spots I got confused. Yep, I thought the two pages of thoughts while they were escaping the prison was a little out of place. It's definitely not for the lighthearted, and its got a lot of questionable, dark subjects and situations going on here (including, at best, dubious consent). But I am fascinated. 

The characterization of Michael is really one to applaud at. His character is kept consistent throughout, and he really is a bad boy. To the core. This doesn't really change too much through the novel. Its just something you have to accept from the get-go. He's a criminal after all, there's no other way to slice it. 

Christina is okay. She gets a 3 star from me. Mostly I just feel bad for her. She was a little too hysterical for my liking, but whenever I felt myself getting annoyed I'd step back a little and think about exactly what was happening to her. The answer? A lot. I think we can afford to cut her some slack to be a little hysterical and, yeah, a little stupid. I'm really not sure I'd have done half as well.

I like what we get to see of the workings of IMA. Its scary and a little creepy to think about, an organization being that powerful and that dangerous existing, especially with people like Michael and Adrian. 

Adrian was written very well. The characters were all written very well, they were just so real. And I think that's what I really love about this book, despite all the nastiness abound. It's real, it's raw, and it's unapologetic.

No comments:

Post a Comment